To make a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free version, I started with a recipe from myrecipes.com for Pecan Topped Pumpkin Bread and made many, many alterations and embellishments from there.
You can also substitue the pumpkin for any pureed fruit or vegetable to make Banana Bread, Zucchini Bread or even Sweet Potato Bread with this recipe.
Most, if not all the ingredients that I used were organic. The flours and flax meal were by Bob's Redmill. These muffins make for a quick and delicious breakfast paired with fruit or a hearty snack.
Pumpkin Muffins or Bread
by Kendra (Mrs. Substitution)
- Kitchen aid Mixer (or mix by hand in a bowl)
- Mixing bowl for dry ingredients.
- Sifter, I like to use my stainless steal mesh strainer to sift my dry ingredients.
- measuring cups and spoons
- 1 3/4 Sorghum Flour
- 1 1/2 Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 c Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- dark chocolate chips, dairy, soy and nut free (optional) "Enjoy Life" is brand to try.
- 4 tbsp. Flax Meal mixed with 1/2 c warm water or 4 tbsp. Energ Egg Replacer mixed with 1/2 c warm water.
- 2 cup organic granulated sugar (you can also use honey or stevia)
- 3/4 c oil ( I used Canola. You could also use 1/2 c applesauce or Earth Balance.)
- 2/3 c apple juice or water
- 1 15 oz can of Pumpkin (or other fruit or vegetable puree such as banana, sweet potato, zucchini or squash.
- Cooking Spray (check ingredients list.)
- Preheat over to 350.
- Combine all dry ingredients into a bowl. Sift dry ingredients into another bowl.
- Start out the wet ingredients by mixing the flax meal with 1/2c warm water or Energ Egg Replacer mixed with 1/2 c warm water, in the mixer for one minute. This allows it time to thicken.
- Add sugar, and oil or applesauce and mix.
- Add apple juice or water and the pumpkin (or other fruit or vegetable puree) and mix until well combined.
- Mix in dry ingredients with the wet and mix for 3 minutes.
- Hand stir in chocolate chips if desired.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins or a bread pan that you've sprayed with the cooking spray.
- You can sprinkle sugar on top for added pizazz.
- Bake on 350 for 10 - 15 minutes for muffins, (20 - 30 minutes for bread) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in a reusable container on the counter or in the fridge. These will also freeze well.