Friday, February 11, 2011

Pancakes: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free

I was just on the phone with my BFF who was saying that she saw a really promising looking gluten free pancake mix and wanted to buy one to make pancakes this weekend for the kids but didn't because it was $7.00 for a little bag! I thought I'd better get the recipe that I've been working on up here just in time for the weekend.
 
There are so many great gluten free mixes out there for things like pancakes, muffins, cakes and cookies. More and more continue to come on the market all the time. Bob's Redmill, Bisquick (just saw it for the first time at QFC),Pamela's, Cherrybrook, Gluten Free PantryArrowheadmills, to name just a few. Seriously!
The problem is that they tend to be super pricey! We are using pretty basic ingredients here that we should have in the pantry anyway, if we are doing this type of baking.
I've tried the Pamela's and Cherrybrook. I liked the Cherrybrook lane mix the best. The Pamela's was great but I realized to late that it had buttermilk in it.

 

Pancakes are a tricky recipe to make gluten free, dairy free and egg free. I think the pancakes miss the eggs the most! I have been working so long on trying to perfect this recipe. I've had so many failures. This one isn't 100 percent yet but I want to post it so you can try it and give me some feedback. What worked, what didn't. I apologize for not having a picture. I'll make them this weekend and will post one. :-)

 
Here's what has worked best at this point for me.
 
Pancakes: gluten free, dairy free, eggs free, and soy free (revised)
by: Kendra (Mrs. Substitution)
2 1/3 cup Gluten Free Flour Mix: 2 cup GF Oat Flour plus 1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca flour. You can use your favorite All Purpose Gluten Free flour mix if you wish.
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp flax plus 3 tbsp warm water (or 3 tbsp apple sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unrefined sugar or honey
1 1/2 cup Rice Milk (or soy, cow, almond, or coconut) mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
1 tbsp vanilla (or more, depending on how much you like vanilla.)
Earth Balance as needed for frying pan

Directions:
Mix your flour mixture in a large bowl and whisk with a wire whisk or sift to combine.
Add in baking powder, xanthan gum and salt to the dry flour ingredients.
In a small cup mix your flax and water and let it sit for a minute or two.
In your measuring cup add Rice milk plus apple cider vinegar and let sit for 1-3 minutes or so.
In another bowl or your mixer, Vitamix, or blender, add rice milk, flax and water mixture, sugar or honey, oil, and vanilla. Blend or Mix on high until well combined.
Add in flour a bit at a time and mix until well combined, 3-5 minutes usually does the trick. You don't need to worry about mixing the batter too long as you would when using wheat flour because you won't have any gluten build up. The batter should look runny, likw pancake batter.
Cook in a frying pan on medium to low heat, as you would regular pancakes. Use your canola cooking spray, or something like Earth Balance in bottom of the pan just for the first pancake. Pour about a 1/4 cup scoop of the batter in the pan. (optional: Sometimes at this point we put some chocolate chips on top.)
Once bubbles start to form at the top, check to see if your pancake is ready to flip. Once it's on the other side, cook until that side is cooked all the way through. Top with your favorite butter replacement, 100% maple syrup, or jelly. I like to put Sunflower butter on them and make them into a sandwich. Serve immediately or let cool and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze in a ziptop bag. You can thaw in the toaster, frying pan. Leftovers make a great quick breakfast during the week. :-)

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just revised this recipe after my pancake extravaganza this weekend. I made three different batches of pancakes, trying different things. I just hope I get my notes transfered correctly on here. I tried making my recipe using Sweet White Rice Flour and tapioca flour and potato starch and they totally flopped. They wouldn't cook through no matter what I did. I tried using the sweet rice flour since many of the pancake mixes seem to use that flour. First of all, it's so sticky and not very nutrient rich. I ended up throwing the entire batch out and ended up back with my favorite, Gluten Free Oat Flour, which worked like a charm. The family had to wait a while for their pancakes on Saturday morning, but at least I got to experiment a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend these buckwheat pancakes I made last weekend. They were delicious. Since buckwheat isn't actually wheat, they fit into my super-restricted diet right now. Even the husband loved them!

    1 heaping cup buckwheat flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I did 1 part baking soda to one 2 parts cream of tartar since I can't have corn or potato which are in most baking powders)
    1 Tablespoon date sugar or Sucanat (I used agave syrup since I can't do sugar)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup carob soy or rice milk (I used almond)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 medium banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
    2 Tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional -- I did not use these)


    Combine or sift together dry ingredients, mixing well. In a blender or with a hand blender mix soy or rice milk, agave, vanilla, and banana. Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Spoon onto a preheated griddle. Sprinkle with walnuts, if desired. When bubbles appear and break, turn pancakes and cook until lightly browned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wanted to share this awesome flat-bread recipe. It's been a godsend since I'm yeast-free too ... http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/09/whole-grain-flatbread-gluten-free-yeast.html

    ReplyDelete