Monday, February 21, 2011

The Completely GREEN Dinner. Pea and Basil Soup: gluten free and dairy free

We had a completely GREEN dinner that was first and formost quick, free of gluten, cows milk, eggs, soy, and vegetarian this evening and the kids were thrilled!

One of my most favorite things to cook with and eat is basil. Naturally, one of my favorite recipes is one by Giada De Laurentis that I link to below. It contains olive oil, onion, peas, chicken broth, cream (which I replace with almond or rice milk), salt and pepper. I replaced the butter with olive oil and pecorino romano instead of mozzerella. I mixed some pecorino in the soup as well as put it on top. It's like pesto soup really. It tastes very fresh, clean, and yummy. I've used dried peas and frozen peas with this recipe. I served it up with Asparagus with Shallots (see below).
All very healthy, and very green.
Pea and Basil Soup linked here.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
I top the soup with Pecorino Romano, sheeps milk cheese.

Asparagus with Shallots
by Kendra Hubbell
Ingredients:
a bunch of asparagus
a shallot
olive oil
salt and pepper
Directions: 
Wash your asparagus. Cut your asparagus in little circles and cut up your shallot. Put some olive oil in a saute pan on your stove on medium - high heat. Add your shallot to the pan and cook a bit, then add in your asparagus and sautee until just slightly crispy still.

Today, my six year old son and I made my Pumpkin Muffins: Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, citrus and nut free. together. I read him the ingredients and he measured, poured, and mixed the ingredients together. He really did most of it himself. I am so proud. They turned out so good. This time we used Bob's All-purpose gluten free flour instead of what I usually use and they turned out great!




No comments:

Post a Comment