Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentines Day Cupcakes and Heart Sugar Cookies: gluten free, egg free, dairy free, nut free


I can definately call Valentines Day a success! The Kindergarten class, with every allergy known to us, were able to enjoy a special treat. Check out the gluten, dairy, soy, nut, citrus free cupcakes and frosting that I made. I used Gluten Free Pantry's Chocolate Cake Mix simply because I found it on sale for $1 box and I couldn't make my regular recipe for that price. I used 3 tbsp apple sauce plus one tsp baking powder per egg, to replace each egg. I made frosting myself.

Frosting: Gluten, dairy, egg, soy free
Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp earth balance
1 tbsp vanilla
1/4 cup of a liquid such as rice milk, coffee, lemon or orange juice (if citrus is tolerated), apple juice, or tea.
You can add food coloring if you wish. I recommend a natural coloring like India Tree Natural Coloring.
Directions:
Start with Earth Balance and vanilla in the mixer and combine. Add in powdered sugar. Then add the liquid as needed until you are at your desired consistency.

After a few failures, I figured out that putting the frosting into a baggie, cutting of a tip and pipping the frosting on the cupcake in a swirl and then dipping it into the various sprinkles did the trick and it did it quite nicely I must say! Take a look!
















The Kindergarteners were so sweet, as I walked around refilling waters, many of them said, unprompted by their teacher, "Thank you so much, these are so good, or these are the best cupcakes ever." One of the parents thought I bought them at the store because I brought them in a plastic container. I went to the bakery at Safeway and asked to buy two of the cupcake containers. They sold them to me for .50 cents each. That sure make it easier to carry them to class.


I also made my gluten, dairy, soy, nut free sugar cookies, from a previous post, for a few of the students in my daughter's second grade class. She's dairy free and there were other with gluten and dairy issues.












They were the perfect texture. Many people said they tasted just like sugar cookies. Well, that's what they are!  I hope your Valentines Day was enjoyable!




No comments:

Post a Comment