Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes: gluten free, dairy free, egg free, vegan

Halloween cupcakes, beautifully decorated for Halloween by my children.

I am a huge fan of Bob's Redmill products. Their website offers a ton of recipes to choose from. Many address food sensitivity and food allergy issues. I still find that I have to make my own personal alterations. This post is a great example of that.

My mom loves to have fun with our kids for Halloween. She was so sweet and planned to do cupcake decorating with our kids during our one of our October Sunday dinners. She wanted to be sure to make them so they accomidated my kids, my Dad, and myself, so she asked me for a recipe. I pointed her to the Bob's Redmill site for ideas. She found this gluten free chocolate cake recipe that I link to here that is gluten free.
Here's how I used it as a base and change it into a recipe for gluten free, dairy free, and egg free chocolate cupcakes. This is a great example of how you can make a few subsitutions to accomidate your specific needs.

Chocolate Cupcakes: gluten free, dairy free, egg free
Makes 12 cupcakes.

Ingredients
1-1/2 cup Bob's Redmill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
1 cup Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Flax Meal
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup vanilla So Delicious Coconut Milk or other dairy free milk
1/3 cup Earth Balance
3 tbsp apple sauce plus 1 tsp baking powder mixed
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 cup warm brewed Coffee or decaf chai tea (this brings out the chocolate flavor)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepared cupcake tins with cupcake papers.
Place all ingredients, except coffee, in large bowl and blend with wisk or your favorite mixer. I use my Vitamix and so does my Mom.
Add coffee and mix until thoroughly blended.
Pour batter into cupcake papers in cupcake tins and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.

White Vanilla Frosting

Ingredients
2 - 4 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp clear vanilla extract (using clear keeps your frosting white. Regular vanilla extract will turn your frosting a bit off white)
1/4 - 1/2 cup Earth Balance (sticks or spread works)
Directions
Mix the above ingredients in you favorite mixer. I use the Kitchenaid for this with the paddle attachment.
Be sure your cake or cupcakes have cooled before frosting them. Spread over your cupcakes or scoop into a plastic zip bag with the end cut, or your favorite piping bag and pipe onto your cupcakes.





Mummy faces created with white frosting and orange and black cake decorating gel.


My son made his own version of a cupcake ghost.



Here are some gluten free, dairy free, egg free mummy cupcakes. My mom got this idea by searching for images of "mummy cupcakes" on-line. There are several interpretations. This is what we came up with.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment