Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The No Pain Cream Solution!

Creamy soup or velvety smooth ice cream, are things that would really ruin my week if I ate them. I simply can't eat anything that has any ingredient that is or was derived from cow's milk. There is nothing more frustrating to me than finding out, too late, that there was cream in a soup. That painful feeling in my stomach is unmistakable and it takes days to get back to normal. After many experiences like this I've learned to always ask this one simple question: "Is this soup cream based?"

In an effort to find cream to use in Pumpkin Soup or to add to mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, or in cream based sauces, my Mom found this fabulous cream alternative and I've purchased it several times since. It's called Mimic Creme and it's almond based. They have a sweetened and a non-sweetened version and I picked it up at Whole Foods.

I most recently used it to add creaminess to a tomato vegetable soup that I made. I didn't need the entire container, so I filled up my muffin tins with the rest and stick them in the freezer. Once frozen I transferred the little painless cream hockey pucks into a Ziplock bag and put them back in the freezer. They are ready for me to add them to my soups, sauces, or to make some ice cream out of them.




Enjoy!

1 comment: